The delicate taste of cumin in this rice dish (Pulao recipe) and the lovely green peas color make it my favorite everyday rice. It’s fast to make and it’s also very flavorful.
I use Plain Basmati Rice to add taste, beauty, texture and fragrance to this dish rather than using plain long-grained white rice to make Pulao. This rice dish can be paired with any of the dishes in these Pulao recipes (my favorite pairings are with matar paneer), but it’s also sweet enough to eat individual.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 15 min + 5 min to rest
- Refrig life: 3 days
- Freezer life: 1 month
- Reheating method: Place the cooled or defrosted rice in an oven, sprinkle on it a couple of tablespoons of water and stir continuously. Or, put the rice in a stir fry, sprinkle on it a few drops of water, and warm it over medium-low heat, stirring regularly.
- Pulao recipe
- 1 cup (180 g) uncooked white Basmati rice to make Pulao Dish
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (60 g) of fresh green peas
- In a small bowl, put the rice. Rinse three or four times, filling the bowl twice with cold water and draining the water carefully. If the water isn’t completely clear, it’s all right, just try to get it as clear as you can. Pour the rice into a big drain sieve.
- Pour the oil over medium heat into a medium saucepan. Add the cumin seeds when the oil is heated and let brown for about 10 seconds. Do not let the seeds of the cumin burn and become black.
- Add the rice immediately and mix thoroughly until the whole rice is covered with the oil.
Add the salt, peas, and water.
- Adjust the heat to low and rising it. Cover the pan. Simmer steadily until the liquid is fully absorbed and when you put a spoon through the rice, you don’t see any more water on the bottom of the saucepan, around 9 minutes.
- You may see dimples forming on the rice’s surface, a sign that the water is completely absorbed.
- Turn off the flame. Let rest on the hot stove, cover, for 5 minutes and pulao recipe is ready. Hold covered or cooled to room temperature until ready to serve and refrigerate for later. Gently fluff the rice with a fork before serving to mix the cumin seeds with the peas.