A favorite recipe from our childhood, this is made with a strong Indian cheese type that is sliced in cubes, softly pan-fried, and then baked in a savory curry with peas. You can use Indian Roti, Nan, Plain Basmati Rice, Rice with Cumin and Peas to serve this dish. Keep an eye out when serving this dish to ensure that everyone gets an equal number of cheese cubes, rather than one person taking them all! The cheese can be replaced with firm tofu.
10 min + 2 hr to make Piece of Indian Cheese, cubed and fried
Cook time: 25 min
Refrig life: 3 days
Freezer life: 1 month
Reheating method: Put the curry in a microwave, cover and mix constantly, refrigerated or defrosted. Or, over medium-low heat, place it in a casserole and stir periodically. Replace tofu in order to make Tofu and Peas Curry or Matar paneer.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- ½ small onion, shredded on the largest grating holes of a box grater 1 fully
- ripe tomato, cut into 4 pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup (60 g) frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 recipe Indian Cheese Block or ½ block firm tofu (about ½ lb/225 g)
- cubed and pan-fried 1¼ cups (300 ml) water
- Pour the oil over medium heat into a medium saucepan For making this recipe. After heating the oil, add the ginger and onion. Mix about 5 minutes until the onion is browned, stirring frequently.
- Reduce medium-low heat. Mix in the tomato and cover the casserole. Cook until the tomato becomes completely soft and mashed and blends with the onion to form a crude paste, stirring about 5 minutes each minute or so and mashing the tomato lightly.
- Add the turmeric, red pepper, black pepper, and salt. Stir to combine. Bake for 6 minutes discovered, stirring continuously.
- Add the peas, cheese cubes, and water. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Start by removing and reduce to low heat. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, sometimes stirring. Enjoy the room temperature now or let it cool and cool or freeze later.